Our work can be categorized into a few core functions.
Connect and communicate with internal and external constituencies, through multiple media; provide clear information, prompt responses, informed analyses, and conceptual framings. Information flows both ways, which means that we are also listening and learning with every engagement.
- meetings with students, faculty, staff, alums, gov’t officials, regulators;
- attendance at local, regional, and national events;
- announcements, talks, lectures, keynotes;
- media interviews, editorials, blogs, social media;
- “public intellectual” engagements on the merits;
- building a one-stop clearinghouse website for all equity, diversity, inclusion matters.
Prevention & Compliance
Generate legally mandated reports; act as a gatekeeper in faculty searches; investigate rigorously and objectively complaints of discrimination (including those triggered by sexual violence) and issue written findings; train various communities to prevent discrimination and sexual violence from happening in the first place.
- annual Affirmative Action / EEO reports;
- monthly Title IX statistics;
- faculty search committee briefings;
- UCLA Recruit faculty searches, approvals, and waivers;
- investigations of discrimination claims by the Discrimination Prevention and Title IX Teams;
- general training programs.
Distribute (scarce) resources to encourage recruitment and retention of faculty who further the Office’s mission; make human capital investments in such faculty; contribute resources to students, staff, and faculty for campus programming and initiatives that further the Office’s mission.
- Request for Proposal (RFP)-based calls to distribute programming and research funding;
- modest ad-hoc financial support for programming;
- faculty Career Development Awards;
- faculty scholarships for self-development programs.
Research & Policy
Research, test, and re-engineer various practices and policies to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion; rationalize, rebuild, and rewrite internal procedures and manuals; conduct R&D and translate academic knowledge into pragmatic “best practices.”
- redesigning complaint investigation procedures;
- helping redraft university policies and principles;
- re-engineering student evaluation forms;
- interventions to lift stereotype-threat and counter implicit bias;
- exploring and refining measures of campus climate.
Advice and Counsel
Advise, collaborate, and coordinate with administrators, deans, department chairs, Equity Advisors, student leaders, and staff leadership on the business of the University that touches upon equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- regular meetings with campus administrative leadership;
- regular meetings with campus academic leadership;
- regular meetings with student and staff leadership;
- coordinating steering committees and advisory boards.