To: Deans, Vice Provosts, Directors, Department Chairs and Administrative Officers
Proposals are now being accepted for the Faculty Career Development Award program (FCDA). This program provides funding for regular rank Assistant Professors and Assistant Professors-in-Residence at a critical time in the pre-tenure stage. The funding is to assist faculty as they advance an ongoing research project, creative activity or as they embark on a new project. Awards are made in the form of a lump-sum of $5,000 – $15,000 in research funds. Please note that funding is allocated for AY 23-24 and does not renew.
The Faculty Career Development Award for AY 23-24 provides regular rank Assistant Professors and Assistant Professors-in-Residence with support for scholarship and creative activities necessary for promotion to tenure. Special consideration will be given to regular rank Assistant Professors and Assistant Professors-in-Residence whose research or creative activities advance UCLA’s values of equity, diversity and inclusion for the University or community at-large. Priority will also be given to regular rank Assistant Professors and Assistant Professors-in-Residence who have held the Assistant Professor rank for at least one academic year.
- Applications are invited from Assistant Professors in the regular rank and In-Residence professorial series, with the exception of individuals for whom AY 23–24 will be their final year as Assistant Professor because of promotion, non-reappointment or resignation.
- Although prior FCDA recipients may apply for another award, strong priority will be given to those who have not previously received an award.
- Award recipients must be willing to help review applications for Career Development Awards in subsequent years.
Applicants should submit the following materials to their Department Chairs:
- Completed application form
- Proposal (two to three pages in length) outlining:
- Career plans and progress
- Detailed description of the project to be undertaken during the award period
- Budget outline
- Statement of how the project and/or how the applicants’ efforts advance equity, diversity and inclusion
- Curriculum Vitae
- The Department Chair will forward all application materials to the Dean of the School or Division with a recommended priority listing and comments, including any departmental advisory committee comments in each packet.
- The Dean will use the Dean’s Submission Form to submit all of the applications to the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. The submission should provide a listing of applications by priority with the basis for support.
- A committee of faculty members will be appointed to review the applications and make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor, who will make the final award decisions.
Monday, May 1, 2023:
Applications due to Department Chairs from applicants
Monday, May 8, 2023:
Applications due to Deans from Department Chairs
Tuesday, May 16, 2023:
Electronic Applications due to Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion from Deans
Notification letters will be sent promptly to all applicants after award decisions are finalized in June 2023. Detailed information regarding the Faculty Career Development Award program can be found on the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion website.
Please contact Ryan Adserias, Chief of Staff to the Vice Chancellor for EDI, at RAdserias@equity.ucla.edu if you have any questions regarding the policies and procedures for this program, or refer to the FCDA Frequently Asked Questions (PDF).
Anna Spain Bradley
Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion