So you’re on a search committee, which means you have to go through training (every four years). Are you due for a training? Wondering what that entails? Just curious about hiring resources? Since 2016, faculty search briefings have had two primary components:
(1) a seven-part animated video series on implicit bias (roughly 30 minutes total, to be viewed on your own time before the briefing);
(2) an in-class training that explores evidence-based tools and techniques to promote equitable and inclusive hiring.
We get that you’re busy, that you feel like there’s too much training of various sorts. So we’ve redesigned the materials to be engaging, to the point, and perhaps even entertaining. Because it’s extremely important that we get things right, please send us any feedback you have on the video series or any other aspect of our training.
For any questions regarding the Faculty Search Briefings and resources, please contact us at (310) 825-2895.
➡ Before the Briefing
Implicit Bias Video Series
- Preface: Biases and Heuristics (5:14)
- Lesson 1: Schemas (3:12)
- Lesson 2: Attitudes and Stereotypes (4:13)
- Lesson 3: Real World Consequences (3:45)
- Lesson 4: Explicit v. Implicit Bias (2:49)
- Lesson 5: The IAT (5:14)
- Lesson 6: Countermeasures (5:23)
All faculty members must view the full Implicit Bias Video Series before the Faculty Search Briefing. After watching the videos, please let us know by self-certifying on this online form.
UCLA Faculty Hiring Guide
We created the videos series because evidence regarding implicit biases and their impact is too strong to ignore. But implicit bias isn’t the only hurdle we must overcome.
Our hiring guide, Searching For Excellence: Evidence-Based Strategies for Equitable and Inclusive Faculty Hiring, identifies others—ranging from structural barriers and narrow conceptions of merit, to ingroup favoritism and related biases and heuristics—and offers suggestions for how to address them.
➡ Additional Resources
Templates & Primers
- Sample Candidate Evaluation Tool
- EDI Contributions Evaluation Tools (word and excel)
- EDI Statement FAQs (previously called “Diversity Statement”)
- Questions to Avoid (DFEH-E06P)
- Prop 209 Primer
- Communication Best Practices
- HERC – Job Ad Posting Request Form
- Find your Equity Advisor
- ➡ PPFP/CPFP FAQs & Former Fellows Database. (All data from UCOP’s Fellows directory.)
- ➡ Faculty Search Briefing Certification list
- 2017 UCLA Faculty Data (more @ BruinX Dashboards)
- Faculty Search Process Policy Memorandum
- Faculty Search Process – APC Training Slides
- Recruitment Process Overview Trifold
- UC Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace Policy
- UC Diversity Statement
- Faculty Code of Conduct (APM-015)
- Appointment and Promotion (APM-210)
- Family Accommodations (APM-760)
- Deans and Provosts (APM-240)