The most frequently asked questions about disability accommodations fall into several categories.  The Committee is in the process of gathering answers to these questions so that you can contact the right office to address your needs.

1. Joining UCOD

A. Voting Membership

The UCOD consists of 18 official voting members (6 students, 2 faculty, 4 staff, 2 community, and 2 alumni).  There are official appointment processes to select these voting members, but this should not discourage anyone from attending our meetings.  Becoming an ex-officio member is often a first step toward becoming an appointed member.

B. Attending or Presenting at Meetings

UCOD meetings are open to anyone wishing to attend.  UCOD encourages and invites people to present on disability related topics.  If you would like to attend a meeting or present, please RSVP to the Assistant to the UCLA Committee on Disability.

UCOD meets every 2nd Tuesday of the month with the exception of August and December. Please refer to our meeting schedule.  You can also follow our activities by joining the UCOD mailing list.  All traffic to this list is moderated, so you will not receive spam or excessive emails.

2. Getting Around Campus

A. Building Access and Construction

If you have problems accessing a building or traveling through an area due to construction activity, you should contact Facilities Management at (310) 825-9236 (on campus x59236).  Someone will be available to answer your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  They can assist with elevator outages, door malfunctions, and other issues.  For non-critical issues, you can also submit a Trouble Ticket or Service Request through their website.  If you are experiencing a true emergency, please call 911.

B. Parking

On the UCLA campus, a permit is required to park in all parking structures, at meters, or in Pay Station stalls, even for visitors with disabled person’s licensed plates or placards.  A daily parking pass for disabled visitors is available for $3 from any parking kiosk or Pay Station (increasing to $4 July 1, 2011).  Disabled Permits are also available for students, faculty and staff on quarterly or year-long basis.  Students should apply for Disabled Permits through the Office for Students with Disabilities.  Faculty and staff should apply through their departmental parking coordinator.

Coin meters are free of charge to people with disabled person’s license plates or placards.  But there are very few coin meters remaining on campus.  More information on patient parking is available here.

C. Shuttles and Transportation

here are several free shuttle services operating on campus that disabled visitors may take advantage of.  Please visit their websites to obtain the latest schedules and information:

  • BruinBus (Campus Shuttle, Wilshire Shuttle, Northwest Shuttle, University Apartments Shuttle)
  • Evening Van Service
  • OSD Van Service – for students with documented, mobility-based disabilities
  • Emeriti / Retirees Relations Center – volunteers provide rides for emeriti and retirees

D. Accessible Venues and Routes

The UCLA Pathways Map illustrates accessible routes on campus and accessible building entrances.  It also summarizes campus services for the disabled.  Request a copy by sending your name, address, and phone number to Monroe Gorden, Director of the ADA & 504 Compliance Office, at or pick-up a copy from A239 Murphy Hall.

3. Academics and Teaching

A. Office for Students with Disabilities

The Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs designates the Director of the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) with responsibility for oversight of the OSD on campus which is the sole entity authorized to determine a student’s eligibility for accommodations and services by reason of disability. The Director also ensures that the OSD’s policies and practices are consistent with all applicable federal and state laws and University policy.  The OSD assists students with documented permanent and temporary disabilities by ensuring their educational needs are met.  All services are free and confidential.  We prefer to have incoming and returning students contact us early in the quarter to make their requests. However, students may contact OSD at any time. The main office is located in Murphy Hall, A Level, Room 255.  To see if you qualify for support services, call (310) 825-1501 to schedule an appointment.  You can also visit for further information.

B. Acquired or Temporary Disabilities

Students who acquire a disability while enrolled at UCLA may be eligible for support services.  This includes new diagnoses and injuries that occur due to illness or accident.  They should contact the Office for Students with Disabilities to have their eligibility evaluated.

C. Faculty and TA Obligations

Faculty and TAs are responsible for providing appropriate accommodations to students with disabilities. Typically, if a student approaches a professor or TA with a request for accommodation, the professor/TA will refer the student to OSD. Some students need to begin the eligibility process with OSD and some students who are already registered with OSD just need to arrange for their accommodations. If you are a student who is encountering difficulties receiving your requested accommodations, please contact OSD right away. If you are an instructor who would like to learn more about your obligations or if you have any questions regarding accommodations, you can contact OSD and ask to speak with a disability specialist. OSD can attend TA training programs or departmental meetings to explain how their services work and share information about resources available for students with disabilities.

4. Workplace Accommodations

A. Services for Non-students

Faculty and staff are eligible for many disability services and accommodations.  Since there is no centralized office equivalent to the Office for Students with Disabilities, sometimes they don’t know who to contact.  The ADA & 504 Compliance Office is a good start for general inquiries: (310) 825-2242.  You might also consult the Return to Work Program (310) 794-6948, Staff Affirmative Action Office (310) 794-0691, or Ombuds Services (310) 825-7627.

B. Ergonomic Evaluations

UCLA campus employees can request free ergonomic evaluations through the Ergonomics Division of UCLA’s Office of Environment, Health and Safety (EHS). See their website at  If you are an employee of the UCLA Health System, please contact David Wilson for ergonomic assistance.

C. Reasonable Accommodation

The State of California, Department of Fair Employment and Housing states: “Reasonable accommodation is any change in the work environment or in the way a job is customarily sought or done that is effective in enabling an applicant with a disability to have an equal opportunity to be considered for a desired job, or is effective in enabling an employee to perform the essential functions of the job the employee holds or desires.”

The employer is required to make reasonable accommodation.  But the employer does not have to provide the accommodation that the employee requested.  The employer may consider the employee’s request, but the employer retains the ultimate control over what types of reasonable accommodations will be offered.

If you are a staff or faculty member who needs an accommodation for a disability, contact Adrienne Malka with Employee Disability Management Services for advice and assistance ( or (310) 794-6948).  Should an employee feel that he/she was denied a reasonable accommodation due to his/her disability, contact the Staff Affirmative Action Office at (310) 794-0691 or the ADA & 504 Compliance Office at (310) 825-2242.

5. Special Interests

A. Medical Care and Specialty Clinics

The Tarjan Center provides leadership in education, research, and innovative practices to support the quality of life and inclusion of all people with disabilities and their families.  The Longevity Center enhances and extends productive and healthy life through preeminent research, education and community outreach.  Counseling and Psychological Services provides individualized therapy and a range of programs to promote mental health, emotional resilience and wellness throughout the campus community.  The Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center is an accredited, on-campus health facility designed specifically to meet the needs of all currently registered UCLA students, offering services in Primary Care, Women’s/Men’s Health, Immunizations, Physical/Occupational Therapy, Travel Medicine, Specialty Clinics, Acupuncture, and Massage.

B. Adaptive Recreation

UCLA has an adaptive recreation program for individuals with cognitive and physical disabilities.  There are also volunteer opportunities.  Go to for more information.

C. Technology and Computing

The Disabilities and Computing Program provides consulting for individuals and departments.  They offer training on adaptive software, conversions to alternate formats, loaner equipment, and purchasing recommendations.  Some of their most requested trainings are on Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition software, Kurzweil 3000 reading assistance software, and ZoomText screen enhancing software.  They also provide web accessibility evaluations and consult with campus web developers on a regular basis.  All these services are free.  Go to to learn more, email, or phone (310) 206-7133.