UCLA Committee on Disability / UCOD Meeting Notes (April 11, 2023)

UCOD Meeting Notes (April 11, 2023)

UCOD Meeting
April 11, 2023 / 2PM / Zoom


Voting Members:
Emily Frake, Michael Garafola, Adam Kipust, Travis Lee, Carolanne Link, Sanaz Nabati, Sylvia Page, Sal Santa Ana (Carolanne Link proxy for portion of meeting), Laura Sencion-Mendoza, Nicholas Shinghal, Caitin Solone, Brooke Wilkinson

Katie Bogue, Camila Krause, Quinn O’Connor, Harold Pimental, Kyle Udelson

Daniela Cortez Bravo, Roberto Diaz, Katie Healey, Yonit Kovnator, Monique LaPalm, Ana Majer, Omar Newland, Sarah T. Roberts


1. Intros

2. Discuss Voting- Travis and Carolanne

a. Confirming the last voting spots:

Option 1: Follow by-laws

Option 2: a voting member steps down

Option 3: Asking the committee to change the community spot to floater, as a temporary measure (one term/two years).  Committee votes for this option.  

Committee confirms Katie Healey and Michael Garafola for two floater positions.  

b. Confirmation of the sub-committee heads: Physical Spaces: Carolanne Link, Events and Disability Awareness Week: Michael Garafola, Special Projects (UCOD voted to replace Technology Sub-committee): Travis Lee and Katie Healey

c. Voting facilitator (Carolanne currently), should be non-voting

Committee votes to allow position to be voting.

Carolanne Link confirmed.

d. Secretary/note-taking (Sylvia currently)

Add sending notes to EDI to duties.

Sylvia Page confirmed.  

e. Treasurer (if we get funding) – can be added later.

f. Opening candidate calls for Chair and Co-chair (May 2023 meeting), rank choice voting, voice candidacy by April 25

Carolanne will send call to the voting members

g. Ex-officio listing on the website?

Move to next agenda

3. Working Group on Advancing Physical Accessibility for Individuals with Disabilities at UCLA – Yonit

a. What are the goals here?

Improve and expand upon physical accessibility at UCLA

b. Who will be on the committee?

c. Paralympics

d. Physical spaces committee

4. Disability events

a. Neurodiversity Celebration Week– Spencer

b. Navigating Disabilities in the Workplace-Sanaz

5. Meta Map Announcement- Carolanne

a. Funding not yet received.  

b. If you know of students/student groups willing to document bathrooms in the next couple weeks, let Carolanne know.  In particular seeking those who use male restrooms.  

6. New faculty and TA Training- Travis

a. Learning objectives for Disability Awareness Training

7. In the news- Yonit and Professor Sarah Roberts

a. Elevator door messaging to “take the stairs”: Is this anti-disability?

b. 2014 Daily Bruin Article

c. Yonit will be reaching out to Semel Healthy Campus Initiative about this issue.

d. Related issues with elevators frequently being broken, chair users/people with disabilities not always able to use elevators due to other people not ceding space.

e. Recognizing invisible disabilities in this conversation is important.

f. Anyone who would like to meet with HCI can contact Ana Majer. 

We will work asynchronously on different verbiage and/or different educational campaign ideas.

8. Department Updates

9. Adjourn

Action Items

  • Travis will reach out to Katie and Caitlin about the faculty training.

Items for Next Meeting Agenda

  1. Ex-officio members listed on website.