UCLA Committee on Disability / UCOD Meeting Notes (February 13, 2024)

UCOD Meeting Notes (February 13, 2024)

UCOD Meeting
February 13, 2024 / 2PM / Zoom


Voting Members:
Emily Frake, Michael Garafola, Travis Lee, Sanaz Nabati, Quinn O’Connor, Sylvia Page, Harold Pimental, Sal Santa Ana, Nicholas Shinghal, Caitlin Solone, Brooke Wilkinson

Katie Bogue, Adam Kipust, Camila Krause, Carolanne Link, Kyle Udelson

Britney Robinson, Katja Antoine, Ariella Morrison, Rob Diaz, Paola Manterola, Laura Schreiber, Ana Majer, Fang-I Chu, Pamela Masangkay, Christine Kling, Tulasi Atikamsetti, Anya Desai, Mike McCormack


1. Intros (10 mins)

2. Newsletter updates (Travis, Carolanne, Caitlin, Fang, Quinn, 5 mins)

a. Travis presented to Steering Committee on newsletter’s success

b. Theme: Access is Love

3. Issue with Incomplete on Transcript for Students with Disabilities (Quinn, 10 mins)

a. Proposal approved by Graduate Student Council in May 2021. Undergraduate and Graduate Student Councils submitted this joint proposal this February to the Academic Senate:

After an incomplete is completed, the grade should be listed in the transcript without notation of “incomplete.” This notation is only used by UCLA, no other UC campus. This can cause issues with grad school applications and disadvantages disabled students.

b. UCOD will vote asynchronously on supporting the proposal.

4. DSU Update on Disability Cultural Center (Anya, 5 mins)

a. Collective vision includes fully accessible large space with flexible design and multiple rooms, as well as full-time staff

b. ASUCLA is proposing a referendum to renovate the Bruin Viewpoint Room to provide space for DCC and other student cultural centers. Both undergraduate and graduate students must pass the referendum for the renovation to take place.

c. DSU would like to partner with Semel Healthy Campus Initiative to ensure support for this project. Travis will connect DSU with HCI.

5. Adaptive Sports New Task Force (Michael, 10 mins)

a. Discussion of some of the challenges hindering its growth.

Michael is a solo department; marketing and funding is needed to grow programs and receive access to facilities.

b. Goal to have both competitive and non-competitive athletic programs.

c. Please connect students, staff, or faculty who may be interested to Michael.

d. Proposal to create a sub-committee to support this work.

6. First Thursdays disability tabling (Caitlin, 5 mins)

a. UCLA’s Disability Studies Inclusion Lab will be tabling at Westwood’s First Thursday Game On event on March 7 from 7pm-10pm, partnering with Blizzard Entertainment to talk about adaptive gaming. New Normal: Skateboarding Now exhibit will also be on display.

7. MetaMap data and new campus map (Carolanne, 5 mins)

a. DCP is working with campus to incorporate accessibility layer to new campus map

8. Faculty Training: Collaboration with TLC and CEILS (Travis and Caitlin, 5 mins)

a. Goal to complete training by June, to be introduced to new faculty in fall 2024.

9. Department updates and open floor (Everyone, 10-15 mins)

Action Items

  1. Travis will connect DSU with Semel HCI
  2. Voting members will vote asynchronously on proposal in support of removing “incomplete” from transcripts after grade has been submitted.