UCLA Committee on Disability / UCOD Meeting Notes (June 13, 2023)

UCOD Meeting Notes (June 13, 2023)

UCOD Meeting
June 13, 2023 / 2PM / Zoom


Voting Members:
Emily Frake, Michael Garafola, Katie Healey, Adam Kipust, Travis Lee, Carolanne Link, Quinn O’Connor, Sylvia Page, Harold Pimental, Sal Santa Ana, Laura Sencion-Mendoza, Nicholas Shinghal, Caitin Solone (Proxy for Brooke Wilkinson)

Katie Bogue, Camila Krause, Sanaz Nabati, Kyle Udelson

Omar Newland, Spencer Scruggs, Monique LaPalm, Natalie Landau Gibson, Anya Desai, Mauricio Baker, Mason, Ana Majer, Brandie Kirkpatrick, Fang-I Chu, Rob Diaz, Suzanne Seplow, Yonit Kovnator


1. Intros

2. Travis- Review new Disability Course in Bruin Learn.

a. Katie and Travis developed this training. The audience is new faculty.  The goal is a 30 minute introductory training with brief assessment.  

b. Training will be presented to Cross-campus Teaching Innovations Group (CTIG) on June 15th for feedback. 

c. Training will be presented to EVC Hunt and Dean Galván by end of June. 

d. If anyone tests the training, please note how long it takes and let Travis and Katie know.  

e. This training will hopefully be available to returning faculty, and required for new instructors (including faculty, lecturers, and TAs).    

3. Carolanne- UCLA Recreation Bike Shop inclusive space

a. Bike Shop is open again and can stock tubes and tires for wheelchairs. 

b. Nate at the Bike Shop is interested in community engagement (e.g. workshops on flat tire maintenance), and wants to include wheelchair users.    

c. Michael will reach out to Nate to discuss engagement including power chair support.

4. Lily Shaw mug available at Kerckhoff

a. This is part of the Reusable Mug Program, which Lily founded.  Sachi and Quinn added to the design.

b. Lily Shaw Disability Cultural Center has been confirmed by USAC but still seeking a permanent, accessible location on central campus (e.g. Kerckhoff or Ackerman).  

Daily Bruin Article

The current plan is to find a temporary place on the hill.  Please contact Caitlin if you have ideas about permanent spaces.  

5. Caitlin- Randall Park- Culture studies portable sensory space.  

a. Looking for volunteers for “KultureCity Mobile Sensory Station.”

b. Will be outside Pauley Pavilion

c. Volunteer Information and Request Form

6. Caitlin- The STEM Disability research done by undergrads

a. Students worked on a capstone project surveying students and faculty about the accommodation process in STEM classes.  

b. Findings will be available in video form and Caitlin will share in a future meeting.

7. Disability Awareness Week Planning

a. Will be the week of October 9th.

b. Our programming will be hybrid.

c. It will be the 50th anniversary of Section 504, programming could tie in.

d. If you have ideas for programming, reach out to Travis.

8. Department Updates

a. CAE

Sign up for the new CAE monthly newsletter.

CAE is working on Single Sign-on options for Kurzweil and Fusion, hopefully ready by fall.

Moving away from Clockwork software for managing accommodations

Looking for new testing spaces

b. MetaMap

Still looking for volunteers, especially those using male restrooms.  

c. New EDI Vice Chancellor Mitchell Chang begins July 1.

d. Disability Studies major has been officially approved to start in fall 2023.

9. Adjourn

Action Items

  • Michael will reach out to Nate from the Bike Shop to discuss engagement including power chair support.

Items for Next Meeting Agenda