➡ View the video-recording of this event!
BruinX, in collaboration with the UCLA LGBT Center and the Williams Institute , presents:
CrossCheck Live Salon
What’s in a Name: Emerging Identities and
Language in the LGBT Community
Tuesday, April 16, 2019
5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Charles E. Young Research Library
Main Conference Room
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Made possible by the Charles E. Young Research Library, this panel discussion will feature faculty members and students from across varied academic disciplines to discuss language and its impacts on and within LGBTQA+ communities. Each speaker will each share their thoughts on the topic and then the student moderators will each ask a series of prompted questions followed by a Q&A from the audience.
- Dr. Carlos Santos, Assistant Professor, UCLA Department of Social Welfare, Luskin School of Public Affairs
- Dr. Mitchell Morris,Interim Director of LGBTQ Studies; Professor of Musicology, Herb Alpert School of Music
- Ohene Yaw Ampofo-Anti, Sonke Health & Human Rights Fellow, LLM Candidate, Class of 2019
- Vanessa Warri, Class of 2020, Anthropology & Sociology Double Major, UCLA
- Madin Sadat, Project Coordinator, The Williams Institute, UCLA
- Sohini Halder, Class of 2021, Pre-Human Biology & Society
Sohini Halder is a sophomore undergraduate student at the University of California, Los Angeles as a pre-Human Biology and Society Major and Music Industry Minor. Sohini has been involved with UCLA Health Care Extenders, CTSI-RAP clinical research program, LGBT CRC Outreach Committee, LA Hacks Hacker-Operations Committee, UCLA Choir, and sits on the executive board for the organization Bruin Blood Initiative. She is especially interested in the intersection of LGBTQ social justice and healthcare.
- Andy Cofino, Director of the LGBT Campus Resource Center, UCLA