Effective January 1, 2019, California signed into law the California Gender Recognition Act (California Senate Bill 179). The law creates a non binary gender category (the letter “x” or “nb”) on California birth certificates, drivers’ licenses, identity cards, and gender-change court orders. This enables many in our community — including transgender, intersex, and non-binary individuals—to have full recognition in California.
To comply fully with California Law, on June 28, 2019, Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott Waugh launched the UCLA Gender Recognition Act Task Force. This Task Force will determine a strategic and effective approach to the systematic changes this law requires.
The Initial Objectives of the Task Force are as follows (may be subject to modifications and additions):
- Identify all campus databases to be updated and list these databases in a suggested order of priority;
- Identify the variables (and variable options) within each database that need to be added or modified;
- Consult with campus stakeholders and draft notices to accompany the changes in each database;
- Identify the campus entities that require tailored education and training to implement required changes;
- Identify the main components of a campus-wide education campaign to raise awareness of our expectations and changes in practice;
- Identify the facilities and related policies that will need further assessment to bring the University into full compliance with current California law; and
- Draft a timeline for the implementation of the Task Force’s recommendations.
Looking for more information? You’ve come to the right place! This page will serve as a repository for all resources related to the California Gender Recognition Act and UCLA Task Force, from valuable reading materials and media across the web to the latest policy documents.
We will update this page as new content becomes available. If you know of a valuable resource that we’ve overlooked, please let us know at email@example.com.
➡ new & highlighted content:
- Charge Letter from Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott Waugh re: UCLA Gender Recognition Act Task Force (June 28, 2019)
- ‘Ask Me’: What LGBTQ Students Want Their Professors to Know (Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Why Gender Pronouns Matter (Seventeen)
- Transcending Difference: Recognizing and Understanding Gender Diversity in the Classroom (Ryan Glista, University of Connecticut)
From The Web
- Fact Sheet: California’s Gender Recognition Act (SB 179) (Transgender Law Center)
- California DMV – Gender Identity
- NCAA Inclusion of Transgender Student-Athletes