ABOUT UCLA LGBTQ AFFAIRS
LGBTQ Affairs was initially established in the early 1980’s as the Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on LGBT Issues to create and maintain a more inclusive and accepting campus environment for individuals in the LGBTQ community. The committee morphed over time to function as the advisory board to the LGBT Center, a department of student affairs, focused on serving students in the UCLA Community.
This newly reconstituted committee will have a broader campus focus with the following purpose:
- Act as a resource regarding LGBTQ topics, referring entities to appropriate University offices whose functions are to address any issues raised.
- Reach out, foster and advocate a safe and supportive campus environment for LGBTQ students, faculty, and staff through educational programs and electronic communication.
- Refer and discuss issues and incidences of LGBT homophobia, hate or discrimination. Reports issues to proper campus entities as needed (Dean of Students Office, UCPD, CHR, etc).
- Provide a forum for individuals, campus and community entities concerning UCLA policies, procedures, attitudes, services, and practices regarding LGBTQ issues.
- Inform the responsible campus offices about issues raised at Board meetings. Request follow up from, or make recommendations to, campus offices to which matters have been referred.
- Advise and make recommendations on the implementation of the various campus diversity plans and programs, working in conjunction with appropriate academic or staff compliance committees.
- Serve as a resource for the development of policies and practices that support the LGBTQ community. Review campus diversity reports and policies ensuring equality and opportunities for LGBTQ members of the UCLA community.
- Submit an Annual Report to the Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
PARTICIPATION IN THE UCLA COMMITTEE ON LGBTQ AFFAIRS
- The committee will be comprised of:
- Graduate Students
- Undergraduate Students
- Community Voting Members
- Representatives are appointed from:
- Academic Senate
- Staff Assembly
- Undergraduate Student Association
- Graduate Student Association
- Alumni Association
- Local community organizations
The following departments are represented on the committee:
- ASHE Student Health
- Counseling and Psychological Services
- Campus Human Resources
- Intercollegiate Athletics
- Staff Affirmative Action
- Faculty Development
- Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Academic Affirmative Action
- Staff/Faculty Counseling Center
- Ombuds Office
- UCLA LGBT Resource Center
- Williams Institute
- UCLA Hospital System
- LGBT Studies
- Office of Residential Life
The University Committee on LGBTQ Affairs reports to the Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. Representatives may be asked to present at either committee and an annual report shall be submitted to the Vice Chancellor. The Committee on LGBTQ Affairs is supported by the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Committee on LGBTQ Affairs will announce its scheduled for the 2021-2022 Academic Year shortly.
last updated 2021 06 30
- UCLA LGBTQ Resource Center
- Bruin Shelter
- UCLA Health LGBTQ Resources
- UCLA LGBTQ Undergraduate Organizations
- UCLA LGBTQ Graduate Organizations
General inquiries and requests to present at meetings may be directed to WeListen@equity.ucla.edu.