Heard the term “implicit bias” but not totally sure what it means? Interested in reading the seminal studies? Just like TedTalks? Animated videos? This is the place for you…
Want to take an implicit association test? Visit Project Implicit — it only takes ten minutes!
➡ new Implicit Bias Video Series
[These videos are intended for public use, but we would like to track how they travel. If you, or your school, organization, company, or club happen to use a video for instructional purposes, please let us know at WeListen@equity.ucla.edu. We’re going to keep a public list. And comments are always welcome!]
- Preface: Biases and Heuristics (5:14)
- Lesson 1: Schemas (3:12)
- Lesson 2: Attitudes and Stereotypes (4:13)
- Lesson 3: Real World Consequences (3:45)
- Lesson 4: Explicit v. Implicit Bias (2:49)
- Lesson 5: The IAT (5:14)
- Lesson 6: Countermeasures (5:23)
UC Implicit Bias Modules (for UC employees)
- What Is Implicit Bias
- The Impact of Implicit Bias
- Managing the Influence of Implicit Bias: Awareness
- Common Forms of Bias
- Managing the Influence of Implicit Bias: Mindfulness And Conscious De-Biasing
- Managing Implicit Bias In the Hiring Process
Immaculate Perception: Vice Chancellor Kang at TedxSanDiego 2013
Every/One’s View: What No One Sees: Implicit Bias
Hidden Injustice: Bias on the Bench
Guides & Reports
- new UCLA Faculty Hiring Guide: Searching for Excellence
- The Science of Equality, Vol. 1: Addressing Implicit Bias, Racial Anxiety, and Stereotype Threat in Education and Health Care (Perception Institute 2014)
- The Science of Equality, Vol. 2: The Effects of Gender Roles, Implicit Bias, and Stereotype Threat on the Lives of Women and Girls (Perception Institute 2016)
- See Bias | Block Bias Resources (Stanford VMware Women’s Leadership Innovation Lab)
Real World Consequences
- Bertrand, M. & Mullainathan, S., Are Emily and Greg more employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A field experiment on labor market discrimination, 4 Am. Econ. Rev. 94 (2003).
- Hugenberg, K. & Bodenhausen, G., FACING PREJUDICE: Implicit Prejudice and the Perception of Facial Threat, 6 Psych. Sci. 14 (2003).
- Milkman, K. et al., What Happens Before? A Field Experiment Exploring How Pay and Representation Differentially Shape Bias on the Pathway into Organizations, 100 J. Applied Psych. 1678 (2015).
- McConnell, A. & Leibold, J., Relations among the Implicit Association Test, Discriminatory Behavior, and Explicit Measures of Racial Attitudes, 37 J. Exp. Soc. Psych. 435 (2001).
- Reeves, A., et al., Written in Black and White, (Nextions 2014).
- Rooth, D., Implicit Discrimination in Hiring: Real World Evidence, IZA DP. No. 2764 (2007).
- Rudman, L. & Glick, P., Prescriptive Gender Stereotypes and Backlash Toward Agentic Women, 57 J. Soc. Sci. 743 (2002).
- Steinpreis, R., et al., The Impact of Gender on the Review of the Curricula Vitae of Job Applicants and Tenure Candidates: A National Empirical Study, 41 Sex Roles 509 (1999).
- Unkelbach, C., et al., The Turban Effect: The Influence of Muslim Headgear and Induced Affect on Aggressive Responses in the Shooter Bias Paradigm, 44 J. Exp. Soc. Psych. 1409 (2008).
- Capers, Q., Clinchot, D., McDougle, L., & Greenwald, A.G., Implicit racial bias in medical school admissions, Acad. Med. (2016).
- Dasgupta, N. & Asgari, S., Seeing is Believing: Exposure to Counterstereotypic Women Leaders and its Effect on the Malleability of Automatic Gender Stereotyping, 40 J. Exp. Soc. Psychol. 642 (2004).
- Goldin, C. & Rouse, C., Orchestrating Impartiality: The Impact of “Blind” Auditions on Female Musicians, 90 Am. Econ. Rev. 715 (2000).
- Parsons, C., et al., Strike Three: Discrimination, Incentives, and Evaluation, 101 Am. Econ. Rev. 1410 (2011).
- Price, J. & Wolfers, J., Racial Discrimination Among NBA Referees, 125 Quarterly J. Econ. 1859 (2010).
- Pope, D., et al., Awareness Reduces Racial Bias, NBER Working Paper No. 19765 (2013).
- Greenwald, AG., et al., Statistically small effects of the Implicit Association Test can have societally large effects, 108 J. Pers. & Soc. Psych. 553 (2015).
- Oswald, Frederick L., et al., Predicting ethnic and racial discrimination: A meta-analysis of IAT criterion studies, 105 J. Pers. & Soc. Psych. 171 (2013).
- Greenwald, AG., et al., Understanding and using the Implicit Association Test: III. Meta-analysis of predictive validity, 97 J. Pers. & Soc. Psych. 17 (2009) [non-technical summary]