As the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) moves forward, I keep thinking about different ways to communicate and to create accountability. One way to promote accountability is to leverage the power of my office’s “bully pulpit.” In speaking from this platform, the point is neither to censor speech nor punish some conduct violation. Instead, it is to stake out a set of institutional values, explain why we haven’t lived up to them, and to remind ourselves collectively to do better.
Sometimes I “speak” through my personal CrossChecks, which are designed to challenge all of us to deepen our understanding and engagement with difficult questions of equity, diversity, and inclusion. Those thoughts are archived prominently on this site. But on other occasions, I make shorter statements, often jointly with other administrators, in venues such as the Daily Bruin. Those statements also do important work by staking out positions reflecting the views of senior University leaders.
We’ve created this page to keep track of those statements, to maintain a faithful archive—a sort of institutional memory. As always, I welcome all suggestions as we advance our Office’s mission to build equity for all.
Archive of Public Statements:
- Recent Acts of Vandalism Contradict Bruin Values of Inclusion, Respect | VC Jerry Kang, VC Monroe Gorden, ASUCLA ED Pouria Abbassi – Daily Bruin, May 14, 2018
- Support for Professor David Myers | EVC & Provost Scott Waugh, VC Jerry Kang, and then-Interim VC Michael Levine – October 17, 2017
- Challenge to Rise Higher | VC Jerry Kang and then-Interim VC Monroe Gorden – Daily Bruin, October 2, 2017
- Gang Signs | VC Jerry Kang and then-Interim VC Monroe Gorden – Daily Bruin, May 10, 2017
- Political Cartoon | VC Jerry Kang and then-Interim VC Monroe Gorden – Daily Bruin, February 13, 2017